Is one of the three close islands of Nga-pu-toru, Mauke is 40 kilometers from neighbouring Mitiaro, and 70 kilometers from Atiu.
In many countries religion is divided on theological grounds, but on the small Island of Mauke it is divided architecturally. Mauke is a raised atoll with a close fringing reef and a population of approximately 300 people.
A road encircles the island and others lead up through the makatea to its fertile core. Located here are the small villages of Ngatiarua and Areora, near the junction of three roads. Standing within the junction is the Cook Islands Christian Church called Ziona, which was completed in 1882.
The villagers could not agree on the design of Ziona's interior. After some debate, agreement still could not be reached, so it was decided to amalgamate two markedly different designs into one structure, each the preference of the two villages. A wall was built down the middle, Ngatiarua built its preferred interior on one side of it, and Areora did likewise on the other. Two doorways were cut in the walls and two walkways, each with its own distinctive carved coral portal built leading up to the two doors.
The wall was eventually taken down and a pulpit built, which straddles the divide with the clear understanding by both villages that the pastor would thereafter conduct the service with a foot in each camp. Well over a century later, the Ziona church of Mauke remains that way today.
Deserted white sandy coves and several guest lodges attract a small number of visitors each year looking for the peace and tranquility of a remote Pacific Island.